Thursday, August 14, 2014

The Glories - Put the Beast Out of Mind (2014)

A post-rock outfit from Birmingham, Alabama. That's a thing, don't you know? I can't say I know much about Birmingham but I can say that I know a thing or two about the listening habits of the members of this band. The wear it right on their sleeves in fact, in the form of their tags on their bandcamp page. "Mogwai" "Caspian" "This Will Destroy You" and "Explosions in the Sky" are in there with the genre tags like "post-rock" and "ambient" creating an unambiguous message of the style of music they're attempting to create. This could be a double-edged sword when listening as it does give one the right expectations but does set a very high standard to live up to. Not everyone gets to be as good as This Will Destroy You after all. The risk they took in largely mitigated as they are quite competent musicians that make some emotionally provoking sonic landscapes.

At some point I'll have to explore exactly what it is about post-rock that I like so much, as it really isn't akin to most of the other genres I commonly tout. Nonetheless I am not gonna give up on listening to it any time soon for whenever a new, epically produced album like Put the Best out of Mind shows up I find myself happily hearing it. Even getting happily bummed out at the somber parts, all without even the utterance of a word. So what I'm saying is, if you're a listener of post-rock, particularly the groups mentioned in this post already, I'd recommend this group of long-haired Southerners.

To be had here:
The Glories - Put the Beast Out of Mind

No comments:

Post a Comment